Sustainable and Livable Cities Initiative
Building the foundations of our work with cities
The Sustainable and Livable Cities Initiative (SLCI) enables key decision makers in China, India, and Brazil to make informed decisions and take effective actions to improve quality of life and environmental sustainability in cities. Since 2006, Caterpillar Foundation’s support has been vital in helping pioneer the mobility work of EMBARQ and its expansion into WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities, allowing WRI to scale beyond the relationship’s immediate impact. SLCI develops solutions in the following areas:
- Bus rapid transit (BRT), bus systems and route rationalization
- Accessibility, road safety and mon-motorized transport (NMT)
- Transport demand management (TDM)
- GHGP for cities (GPC)
- Green power market development
- Low carbon planning
- Water-energy nexus
The project’s overall strategy consists of four phases, creating a cycle of activities:
- Engage government actors.
- Assess and measure to collect accurate data and information.
- Use pilot projects to experiment with new solutions.
- Scale up to other cities or regions.
- Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- Brasilia, Brazil
- Curitiba, Brazil
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Beijing, China
- Changsha, China
- Hefei, China
- Jinan, China
- Xiangyang, China
- Chennai, India
- Karnataka, India
- Tamil Nadu, India