MEDIA ADVISORY: Transforming Transportation 2015: Smart Cities for Shared Prosperity
From climate change to poverty reduction, 2015 is a year of immense opportunity to advance progress on sustainable transport and inclusive cities. Heads of state, mayors, and global leaders will convene in Washington, D.C., to discuss policies and opportunities for unlocking smart and sustainable urban growth.
Cities—expected to house 66% of the world’s population by 2050—are at the forefront of global efforts to boost shared prosperity and build a more sustainable future. Opportunities to transform cities worldwide are the focus of Transforming Transportation 2015, the twelfth annual conference co-organized by EMBARQ, part of the World Resources Institute’s WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities, and the World Bank’s Transport and ICT Global Practice.
Transforming Transportation will focus on Smart Cities for Shared Prosperity and explore how pivotal moments in 2015 will impact cities and urban transport, with an emphasis on data and technology, governance, and climate change.
The conference is open to media.
Featured speakers include:
- Felipe Calderón, former President of Mexico, current Chair of the Global Commission on the Economy and Climate
- Robin Chase, Founder of Zipcar, Buzzcar, and GoLoco
- Pierre Guislain, Senior Director of Transport and ICT, World Bank
- Janette Sadik-Khan, former Commissioner of the New York City Department of Transportation, current Principal, Bloomberg Associates
- Dr. Andrew Steer, President and CEO of the World Resources Institute
- Jose Viegas, Secretary General, International Transport Forum (ITF)
January 15-16, 2015
Media opportunities Thursday, January 15, 9am-12pm include:
- 9:30am: Keynote speech from Felipe Calderón on cities in the New Climate Economy
- 10:00am: High level panel on the role of cities in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with mayors and international thought leaders
- 11:15am: Media availability. Prior coordination with media contacts recommended.
1818 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20433
See full agenda and live streamed sessions at www.transformingtransportation.org.
RSVP required by January 10, 2015 to: Ryan Schleeter, email@example.com or +1 (202) 729-7705.
Some speakers may be available for interviews, depending on their schedules. Registered journalists are encouraged to coordinate in advance with media contacts for potential interviews.